PCCLIST August 2017

Re: Captialization in AAP

"Hostage, John" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Aug 2017 15:49:08 +0000

RDA 8.5.2 says to apply A.2 to name of agents, and that instruction says to capitalize the first word of each name (i.e. the first letter of the first word) and capitalize other words according to the language. "For names with unusual capitalization, follow the capitalization of the commonly known form."

In some parts of the world, especially in French-speaking countries, it seems to be common practice to capitalize the entire surname on title pages, in bibliographies, etc. This can be very helpful to the cataloger, especially in African countries, but it has never been interpreted to create AAPs in that form.

John Hostage
Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger
Langdell Hall 194
Harvard Law School Library
Cambridge, MA 02138
+(1)(617) 495-3974 (voice)
+(1)(617) 496-4409 (fax)
ISNI 0000 0000 4028 0917

-----Original Message-----
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jenifer K Marquardt
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2017 11:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Captialization in AAP

Good morning,

If the most commonly presented form of a person's name includes some parts in all caps, is that capitalization considered part of the preferred name? For instance, if I commonly presented my own name as Jenifer MARQUARDT, would I begin to establish the AAP using MARQUARD, Jenifer?

I've been poking about in RDA, the NACO training slides, and the PCCList archives but haven't found the information.

Thank you in advance for pointing me in the right direction!

Jenifer

Jenifer Marquardt
Cataloging Department
University of Georgia