ARSCLIB@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

Monospaced Font

ARSCLIB Home

ARSCLIB  November 2017

ARSCLIB November 2017

November 2017 issue of Black Grooves

"Nelson-Strauss, Brenda" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Nov 2017 02:02:56 +0000

This month we're featuring projects celebrating the anniversaries of two outstanding record labels. First, Indianapolis-based Tyscot Records recently commemorated its 40th anniversary with the compilation Feel Good: 40 Years of Life Changing Music, and second, Basin Street Records' is celebrating its 20th anniversary as well as New Orleans 300th anniversary with A Beautiful World by Kermit Ruffins & Irvin Mayfield. Other jazz projects include Gregory Porter's Nat "King" Cole & Me and Courtney Pine's Black Notes From the Deep.
As protests continue around the country, artists are weighing in with socially conscious music. This month's selection includes Mavis Staples' If All I Was Was Black, Talib Kweli's Radio Silence, and Christian rapper KB's Today We Rebel.
World music projects include Chicago Afrobeat Project's What Goes Up, Ghana-born drummer Paa Kow's Cookpot, reggae artist Jesse Royal's debut album Lily of da Valley, and Antibalas' Where the Gods Are in Peace.
Wrapping up this issue is the Gospelaires of Dayton, Ohio compilation Moving Up - The Early Years 1956-1965, Austin band Trouble In The Streets' Electro Tribe, the legendary Lloyd Price's latest release This is Rock and Roll, and our list of October 2017 Black Music Releases of Note.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music & Culture
Indiana University
2805 E. 10th Street, Suite 180
Bloomington, IN 47408
www.blackgrooves.org<http://www.blackgrooves.org>