ARSCLIST  January 2018

ARSCLIST January 2018

Re: anyone know about Decca L.M. 78rpm records with handwritten titles?

David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 18 Jan 2018 21:33:40 -0500

Dear Jols,

This is "C."
https://archive.org/details/78_none-listed_polka-band_gbia0027578a

And this:

https://archive.org/details/78_none-listed_replacement-polka-band_gbia0028274a
note that it's marked "replacement"

And this one, which I've reviewed already:

https://archive.org/details/78_none-listed_polka-band_gbia0028575a

These are all Whoopee John Wilfahrt records, made in Chicago in 1930 by
Brunswick. It makes sense that someone at Decca would want to hear these
older records, as Wilfahrt was under contract to them at the time and for
many years after. The matrix data shakes hands with the research that Ross
Laird published in his "Brunswick Records: Chicago and Regional Sessions."
It doesn't shake hands with any other matrix data coming from Decca, so far
as I can tell.

I've been through several of these test records, and my thoughts -- which I
have shared with Brewster off list, and he kindly asked me to do so here --
is that these are internal test records from Decca in the 1940s. It is hard
to tell from the scans, but they all sound like shellac. One thing several
have in common is that they contain sides intended for album sets; the
Overture to "Oklahoma," a side from the London String Quartet's set of
"Stephen Foster Melodies" (1946), an unused side from a Frank Luther
children's set of cowboy songs, etc. These tests may have been for the
benefit of someone at Decca that worked on assembling album sets for
release.

Respectfully,

David N. Lewis
Sperryville, VA