Help for ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

ARSCLIB Home

ARSCLIB  February 2018

ARSCLIB February 2018

Re: [EXT] Re: software for viewer-friendly MARC XML?

"Fabris, Gerald" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Feb 2018 15:57:46 -0500

Thanks for these replies.  We've been using MarcEdit (and Notepad++.)  What
I'd like to find is a software that can take an XML file of a MARC format
catalog record and show it without coding, like an end-user sees in an
online public access catalog.

For example, MarcEdit shows for the 700 field like this:

*=007  sd|zmsdnndlhna*

What I'd like to find would show the 700 field like this (from the same
into as above):

*[007/00]  Category of material:*  Sound recording
*[**007/01]  Specific material designation:*  Sound disc
*[007/02]  Undefined*
*[**007/03]  Speed:*  Other
*[**007/04]  Configuration of playback channels:*  Monaural
*[007/05]  Groove width/groove pitch:*  Coarse/standard
*[007/06]  Dimensions:*  10 in. diameter
*[007/07]  Tape width:*  Not applicable
*[007/08]  Tape Configuration:*  Not applicable
*[007/09]  Kind of disc, cylinder or tape:*  Disc master (negative)
*[007/10]  Kind of material:*  Metal
*[007/11]  Kind of cutting:*  Hill-and-dale cutting
*[007/12]  Special playback characteristics:*  Not applicable
*[007/13]  Capture and storage technique:*  Acoustical capture, direct
storage

There used to be a software called Minaret, which allowed me to program the
view of MARC records, but it's no longer available.

Jerry Fabris, Museum Curator
Thomas Edison National Historical Park
National Park Service
United States Department of the Interior
211 Main Street, West Orange, New Jersey 07052
tel: (973) 736-0550, ext. 48