ARSCLIB March 2018

Normalizing vs overall gain increase

Corey Bailey <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 4 Mar 2018 22:07:18 -0800

I'm in the camp that will not normalize as part of the workflow. There
is a time and place for everything and if you plan to have a Mastering
Engineer involved, do not send a normalized file. Letthem do the gain
adjusting. As far as level matching, I would agree that a simple
increase or decrease in gain is the solution for the particular problem
of channel matching L to R, if it is not more than 3dB or so. The reason
for the caveat is that increasing the overall gain also increases the
noise by the same amount and 3dB doubles the overall gain. So, listen
carefully to the result and make sure that it is acceptable.

On the subject of normalizing: iZotope has one of the best normalizing
algorithms IMHO. When you execute the process, the results are usually
quite good because iZotope seems to be better at maintaining the
dynamics better than other software. When I do use the process, because
normalizing reads the waveform peaks (Lou is correct), I will often
reduce the peaks individually if there aren't too many and, you'll get
more bang for your buck.

Cheers!

Corey

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering