ARSCLIST  March 2018

ARSCLIST March 2018

Re: Please share: Internship position at New York Public Radio Archives

Michelle Hahn <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Mar 2018 18:17:25 -0500

I will step in as a dissenting, yet modern(?)/practical, voice.

Paid internships are really only a standard thing in movies anymore...it's
the "intern" who gets coffee for everyone at a TV/movie studio, or a
non-public radio station, in a movie. That fictional media coverage has
given so many people the idea that "internships" are kids that are paid to
get coffee for execs at a multi-million dollar company. Even those of you
that mentioned you were "paid interns," for whom that was an actual
reality, were paid interns in...profit-bearing companies. Where does
non-public radio money, to pay for coffee runners, come from? High dollar
advertising. And pubic radio? Donations. A paying library/archives
internship is just not standard--I'm sorry to have to tell you that. If it
ever was, it was in a time where money was only spent on luxury services
for an upper-class, privileged-class, clientele. It may also apply to
future medical professionals who will be responsible for human life and
death, i.e. not most of us.

Internships are intentionally educational experiences. The point is that an
intern is supposed to learn things. College students pay tuition for
education. Children's families pay taxes and fees for public school
education, and tuition for private school education. Very few beings get
paid to be educated, and many of those who do are expected to reimburse the
payer--that's literally what a student loan is. There are student jobs (NOT
internships) that come with a paycheck--but the focus of those is not
education, it is labor. Yes, there may be a side effect of learning some
things when you engage in labor, but that is not the point of it. Students
can't be paid to do a lot of the kind of tasks that come in an educational
internship, because they very literally cannot do tasks that would fall
above their "pay grade" for legal, ethical, and compliance reasons. So,
with money comes less authorization to do/learn stuff in a lot of cases.
"Learning on the job" does not mean getting paid to specifically learn in
an internship...it means you are employed to complete certain tasks, even
if you have never learned directly to do those tasks before being trained
for the job. And you don't get employed professionally for the express
purpose of learning--that is really just a happy accident.

Libraries and archives are NOT in it for the money. We are in it to provide
a social service to collections of useful materials; to make sure someone's
precious belongings are cared for and cared about. If you think libraries
and archives should be in it for the money, that money comes from taxes for
most of us--if you want libraries and archives to have the financial
surplus to pay for interns, then donate your money to them for that
purpose.

And know that it is NOT just this one, niche, field that doesn't pay
interns...students interested in learning more about libraries, archives,
audio engineering, public radio, etc. are not being unfairly targeted by
penny-pinchers. Music therapists, for example, are required to do a 6-9
month internship, usually nowhere near where they live, unpaid, in order to
be certified to provide that form of care. They must save up the money to
pay for temporary housing, food, transportation, etc. just to be allowed to
pursue that career in the future. Student teachers--an internship without
the title of "intern"--do the same, unpaid, to learn the right things just
to be allowed to teach for a living.

We pay to take the SAT/ACT/GMAT/GRE to get into school. We pay to take
certification exams to get a job. We pay to take all of our classes. We
don't get paid to learn. That's on us to pursue in trying to better
ourselves and our understanding of a field, the universe, the human
experience...in trying to make whatever comes after learning more
meaningful. If you don't want to do those things, then don't--super simple.
But do not be upset by others who do, or by how they do it.

Michelle

Employed professionally with two unpaid internships, a decade of on-the-job
learning, and now paying for another degree to pay for an exam to pay for a
certification to do more in my career

*Michelle Hahn*

Assistant Librarian, Sound Recordings Cataloger, IU

Newsletter Editor, MLA

Social Media Coordinator, MOUG

Assistant Web Editor, IAML