ARSCLIST  April 2018

ARSCLIST April 2018

Re: Sticky shed - clogged heads?

CJB <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Apr 2018 09:11:35 +0100

Hi guys. Thanks for the heads up. The cassettes are off-air recordings
many from the 1970s from Long Wave / Medium wave and some FM. They are
Beeb airings - likely all long since deleted, wiped or junked. These
are the only recordings extant. It is important to rescue the
contents.

The situation started after a few cassettes had gone though. The
C-120s seemed OK. I then decided to process the C-60s first: Ferro,
Scotch and BASF. I had two cassettes loaded. Huh - I fell asleep and
the first started all over again. When I checked the digital file -
using Audacity - I found that the first was nearly perfect first time
round - but then when it got repeated the sound level was not only
lower but it was also muffled. I used a tape head cleaner and tried
again, the sound came back as loud as it should have been, but then
quickly deteriorated.

I'm not sure that I can retrieve the situation. It seems that the
tapes are shedding and clogging the heads badly. I am nervous about
baking - I only have a microwave!!

Issues with azimuth lining is rather too advanced for the project
which is more one of rescue rather than faultless archiving.

Chris B.