ARSCLIST  April 2018

ARSCLIST April 2018

Re: Sticky tape BASF LH Super Red Cassettes

Corey Bailey <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 7 Apr 2018 12:59:31 -0700

Hi Eero,

Your research is interesting. The one comment I can make is that you
need to allow more time for both the low temp. & and the desiccant
processes. You didn't say just how you protected the cassette while
freezing but, if you were able to play it the next day, you must have
done it right. The earliest research on Binder Hydrolysis indicated that
reducing the temperature and humidity to about 18 Degrees Celsius and
about 24% Relative Humidity for, at least, 3 Months will actually
reverse the problem. No mention was made about long term stability so I
would have to assume that problem tapes would need to be stored in those
conditions. I would think that the desiccant process would need a
similar amount of time to be 100% effective if 100% effectiveness is
achievable using thedesiccant processes. However you are on the right
track and some experimenting with the time it takes to make the cassette
playable would would be most interesting. Please keep us posted. If the
details are too boring for the list, please contact me directly via my
website

Cheers!

Corey

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering