ARSCLIST  April 2018

ARSCLIST April 2018

Re: Sticky tape BASF LH Super Red Cassettes

lists <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Apr 2018 12:35:22 -0400

Am late to this discussions but thought I might add a few comments.

Yes, you can incubate (bake) audio cassettes and it works quite well, in some circumstances.

If you try the desiccant only method, it does take a few months. Also, you should seal the tape(s) with the desiccants inside an airtight container such as a double closure freezer bag.  Just putting them in a box (depending on the box material) can allow too much exposure to exterior humidity conditions.  Moisture can move fairly freely through cardboard box walls.  If you seal the tapes in an airtight container, there shouldn't be any reason to replace/reactivate the silica gel.  Even when the gel color coding goes clear, if the container is airtight, you have created a low humidity micro-environment in the sealed container.  Silica gel will only reduce the RH in the sealed container to a certain degree and repeated replacement of the silica gel will have minimum extra effect.  The chemical reaction that reduces the effects of SSS in a "low humidity only" treatment protocol is long-term and is based on the extended exposure of the tape material to the low humidity.  The reaction will continue in the low humidity micro-environment even when it appears that the silica gel is expended.

We also have built an audio cassette cleaning machine with which we have very good success.  Of course, we do disaster recovery on magnetic tapes so developing additional cleaning protocols/equipment  was necessary.  We have found, however, that having the machinery- cleaning other audio cassettes that have not been in a disaster has been beneficial.

Peter Brothers
SPECS BROS., LLC
973-777-5055
Audio and video restoration and re-mastering since 1983