ARSCLIB June 2018

78s from China

Margaret Ericson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Jun 2018 11:26:35 -0400

Hello,

Our library was recently gifted several 78s from China, ca 1940s. We are
going to keep them as our Asian Studies faculty want the library to
preserve and make them accessible, but we do not have a 78 collection or
public playback that can accommodate 78s, but we do have an Audio Technica
LO 120 USB turntable with 78 capability in our digital productions center
for digital preservation.

One is a complete 3 disc set, Chee Lai: songs of New China (Keynote), in
original container with graphics and a booklet by Madame Sun Yat-Sen. The
discs look in very good condition, but the paper container and booklet
(which has historic information) have a strong mildew odor.

Another is only in a paper sleeve, which is imprinted with Chinese text and
many graphic illustrations, and the address of record company in Shanghai
(in English). The paper is musty/mildew smelling, with some folds and
creases but generally in good condition. The disc label is imprinted with
Chinese text save for the record label name, number and location. Odeon
Peiping 78r A 24094.

Is there anyway to mitigate the mildew situation, or is the best course of
action, to remove the discs, put them in new sleeves, and encapsulate (box?
plastic sleeve or envelope) the record cover, notes, paper material?

Any general guidance you can provide as to whether/how to rehouse the
discs, sources for proper archival sleeves, etc. Would you attempt to clean
the recordings? I assume they are shellac discs. What info could you offer
in terms of information about using the Audio Technica LP 120 turntable to
digitize this....recommendation of stylus, e.g.

Respond privately to:

Margaret Ericson, Arts Librarian, Colby College Libraries
207-859-5662