ARSCLIB June 2018

Re: 78s from China

George Brock-Nannestad <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Jun 2018 23:44:41 +0200

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello Paul and Margaret,

the records are most likely 10" records, and 13" boxes that would appear to be
too big, would provide space for very efficient padding.

The original sleeves are only important if it is thought that they might
provide relevant information later, such as paper type. Otherwise it is merely
essential to scan them and discard them. The records themselves contain both
the intended recorded information and ancillary information, and there may
certainly be developed methods in the future that are much better than
present-day methods for extraction of the information.

The safest cleaning agent is a wetting agent in purified water, and soft
brushing along the grooves, protecting the labels from getting wet, and rinse
with purified water. Do not let the record remain wet -- dry with fluff-free
cotton and circulate air. Persistent mildewy patches would dissolve in an
ultrasound bath. However, the corrosion caused by the mildew will remain as
noisy etched spots. Although the Laser Turntable recommends cleaning, the
non-touch principle means that the records can be played without cleaning,
albeit providing a noisy signal that may need processing. But there are no
problems with stylus choice or wear. The Laser Turntable can be adjusted,
simulating different stylii, on the fly. A Laser Turntable is a completely
different beast from an Audio Technica turntable, and the signal would need
digitization.

Do take care in handling these records. Some even popular records from China
are becoming very expensive indeed in the collectors' market, and they may be
difficult to replace.

You have mentioned 4 records -- is that what you call "several"?

Best wishes,

George