ARSCLIST August 2018

Can't get these vinyl 78s to play.

6295LARGE <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 31 Aug 2018 15:34:22 -0400

Hi everyone,

I have a the Victrola set M-127, Schonberg: Gurre-Lieder with Stokowski and
Althaus.
It's apparently a reissue because the records are all vinyl.
I've blown them with a can of compressed air, but the stylus keeps jumping.
I've tried different styli and cartridges and weights:
For instance: Shure M44-7 with 2.8ET and 3.5FCR, *GE* VRII 2.5mil, Stanton
3.3ET in a Stanton 500 cartridge, *but the styli keep jumping grooves* -
one at a time - once per rotation.
I've even tried a Stanton 681 LP stylus.  I've tried 3 different speeds,
BUT IT ALWAYS JUMPS!!
I thought the vinyls would sound better than shellac, and maybe they would
if I weren't having THIS crazy problem.
Any suggestions? PLEASE!

Thank you.
Ben Roth