The 43re edition of The Reel Thing technical symposium is August 23-25 at the Linwood Dunn Theater in Hollywood.
With more to be announced, preliminary topics include -
* Restoration of Kinemacolor
* The Art of Subtitling
* Restoration of a Film Noir Classic: Edger G. Ulmer's DETOUR
* The Motion Picture Film Lab: "Past, Present and...."
* Preservation Beyond the Final Feature: Discussion with Craig Barron and Ben Burtt
* Intertitle Recreation: New and Persnickety Methods
* The Academy Digital Source Master Specification
* New technology for preservation and restoration of optical sound on nitrate film
* Understanding the history, techniques and tools of stereo film in the 1950s &60s
The Reel Thing focuses on the wide range of critical issues facing archivists, technicians, asset managers and curators of image and sound in the current media/digital landscape. Problems and solutions involving digital creation workflows (2K/4K/6K/8K+HDR), data storage access and recovery, image scanning and recording, image resolution metrics, traditional video and audio preservation and restoration issues are topics of interest. The Reel Thing offers current thinking and most advanced practical examples of progress in the field of preservation, restoration and media conservation, and to create a common ground for discussion and evaluation of methodologies so that informed decisions can be made about when and how to deploy both traditional and emerging technologies.
To register and for more information at www.the-reel-thing.org<http://www.the-reel-thing.org>
Laura Rooney. AMIA
1313 Vine Street . Los Angeles, CA 90028 . p. 323.463.1500
e. [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> . www.amianet.org<http://www.amianet.org/>