ARSCLIST September 2018

Re: ARSC Facebook Group?

John Schroth <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Sep 2018 13:37:27 -0400

I am a 55 year old Baby Boomer that grew up with analog audiovisual gear
and choose to make a living digitizing media recordings with the gear I
learned to make the media recordings with back in college. I have a flip
phone, not a smart phone. I am an airplane buff - but only for the
planes that have propellers. I don't have a single HD set in the house,
but I do have five standard def CRT TV's. I don't have access to a
computer at home most evenings, I choose to leave it at work as much as
I can.

My wife is 12 years younger - an X-Gen. Smart phone, tablets, facebook,
etc etc. She's a hairdresser by trade and can't always pick up the phone
while she's at work. I hated the idea of texting but I had to embrace
it, if I wanted to easily communicate with her throughout the day.

I don't have a personal facebook account and in the past I jokingly
nicknamed it "wastebook". It seemed to me from the outside, that so much
time is wasted on it.

This being said, in my free time I volunteer as the Director of a local
cable access station. Back five years ago we decided it was important to
begin trying to engage younger viewers to watch our programming. I
decided to join facebook in the name of the station. We post our TV
schedule lineup weekly on different community facebook pages. We have
hundreds of people who have asked to be friends of our page, many of
them are younger. They're now interested in getting the schedule on
facebook as some of the programming we produce is of interest to them
and they want to know about it in a way that they can quickly get
updates and in a place that they frequent and are comfortable with.
Several younger people in their teens and early 20's now volunteer for
the station because they connected with our facebook page as friends and
began to take up an interest in producing the programming.

There's nothing to loose by having a facebook page for ARSC. First it
secures an official page. It brings brand awareness, connects us with
new people who may not know about us, promotes activities, events, and
raises awareness for what we do as a community and our common goals. It
connects our organization with younger people in a way they frequent and
are familiar with. It could open up additional revenue streams
advertising products and services in our industry. There could be
several moderators that can make sure to re-route people who post
something that should be on the list-serve. I know I've experienced a
time where I wanted to include a photo, audio or video sample with a
post I made in the list-serve - but you can't do this along with your
post. The ARSC facebook page could provide an easy place for people to
post media examples. If they provide a link with the sample on the
facebook page back to the list-serve post, this could drive curious
people to the list-serve who have never used it before, engage them and
possibly get them to participate in the list-serve.

I don't see much to loose in doing this. Just two cents from a
flip-phone carrying Baby Boomer.

John Schroth

--
Media Transfer Service, LLC