I think Corey is on to it. Try this:
Use a short file that you know is good for test purposes. It can be short - a minute or so. Copy the data in the corrupt file, as before, but this time paste it to the end of the test file. Save it to a new file name and look to see if the new file size reflects the combined data. If it does, you may be OK. Now, just delete the test portion of the new file, save it, and see if the file size seems right.
Audio Engineer Emeritus
The Crane School of Music
SUNY at Potsdam, NY 13676
"Great art presupposes the alert mind of the educated listener."
"A true artist doesn't want to be admired, he wants to be believed."
"If you design an audio system based on the premise that nothing is audible,
on that system nothing will be audible."
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Corey Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2019 11:41:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] corrupted WAV files
No one has mentioned Metadata yet. If the PCM data isn't corrupt
(Wavelab doesn't think so) then you may have a Metadata issue which all
software uses to read and launch a file.
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
On 1/26/2019 7:19 PM, John Schroth wrote:
> Thanks Lou
> I've almost pushed the button on Izotope a bunch of times. My main
> hesitation was having to learn yet another program, but so many good
> things have been said about it. I know I need to get it at some point
> Kind Regards,
> John Schroth
> On 1/26/2019 10:08 PM, Lou Judson wrote:
>> I don’t use Windows, but Izotope RX is my best fixer on Macs…
>> Lou Judson
>> Intuitive Audio
>> On Jan 26, 2019, at 6:58 PM, John Schroth
>> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> Hi Gary and Mickey
>>> I tried copy and paste changing file name of the copy. No luck there.
>>> I tried upsample render then downsample render the upsampled file in
>>> Wavelab. No luck. I only changed the sample rate not the bit rate
>>> and only took it up from 96K to 128K. Going higher for both bit and
>>> sample rates on the whole file, then back down again would take too
>>> much time to process for this test.
>>> I tied saving off to a RAW file, then open (import special audio
>>> file) using Wavelab. No luck there. But when I tried importing the
>>> corrupted WAV file in the same way, then saved that file off to a
>>> new version, that seemed to work. Both corrupted file and new
>>> version are the same size.
>>> As this is a consumer project transferring a collection of cassette
>>> tapes that are not an archival level job, I'm very happy with this
>>> fix. I was in a hurry to get home to dinner Friday night and should
>>> have backed up the days work before I started the batch render
>>> process. Lesson learned. Thanks to you both for your input and
>>> leading me to a fix!!
>> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.