ARSCLIST  January 2019

ARSCLIST January 2019

Re: Looking for Partner Archive/Library

Hugh Paterson III <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Jan 2019 13:32:30 -0800

Greg Schmitz
I work with an NGO registered in the USA as a 501(c)3 which does language
development work — SIL International: https://www.sil.org.  I'm subscribed
to ARSCLIST on my personal email address, therefore I sent the email with
that address (I've been on ARSCLIST for close to 10 years). You can also
reach me at [log in to unmask] This project is being done as part
of my work with the NGO.

OLAC records are open data, working in partnership/collaboration with any
institution would certainly mean that we would need to figure out and
comply with any IP agreement formed as part of the basis of collaboration.
Though I would hope that there would be a sympathetic cause for open data.
I completely understand that not all data is open and we are willing to
work with and respect agreed upon limitations.

As an NGO we think there are several important reasons to enrich archive
holdings records:
1. we have our own archive, and would benefit from enrichment and the out
put of our work — but our approach is novel and to get the best results we
need multiple datasets for training and testing.
2. we more broadly want to see the literature about and the creative works
demonstrating the languages of the world "less hidden".
3. we want to see more humanitarian oriented NGOs pushing for social change
using the mother tongue languages rather than English or the national
language, therefore we anticipate that exposing these resources not only
makes them more readily accessible to the the communities that created
them, academics who are studying their linguistics, but also humanitarian
organizations.

I hope this clarifies and helps calm some fears related to the abuses we
have seen related to big data and machine learning. It is important to
realize that tools in themselves don't hurt people. People hurt people.
Some tools make it very easy to hurt lots of people very quickly, or
systematically only hurt some types of people, all tools need to be handled
with responsibility and respect for people.

- Hugh Paterson