ARSCLIST  February 2019

ARSCLIST February 2019

Re: Compression

Tim Gillett <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 9 Feb 2019 07:19:03 +0800

Louis Hine wrote: "I wish the car manufacturers would add a compressor
feature to their car radios."

I think some of them have provided that feature for some time.

In addition to the increasing compression of commercially released music
over the last few decades, radio stations usually compress their broadcasts
even further, especially on the AM band.  In one sense it's better done at
the station rather than at the car radio because it helps keep the quietest
parts of the broadcast above the noise and static in poor reception areas.

I thought the NYT article was well written, but compressed music  is not
necessarily loud. It only sounds loud if it's also peak normalised.

As the writer said though, part of the push for more compressed recorded
music has been a change in consumer listening habits. More people seem to
listen to recorded music in noisy places such as public transport where
heavy compression does help. The problem comes when it's then listened to in
a quiet space.
The bottom line is we cant anticipate how each person will be listening to
their music. And while it's easy to compress a track when that's needed,
it's often much harder to "un" compress it and restore the dynamics.  "Baked
in" compression can be a mixed blessing.

Tim

Perth,
Western Australia