ARSCLIST  February 2019

ARSCLIST February 2019

Unsubscribe

"Hawkey, Jess" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 9 Feb 2019 11:07:39 +0000

________________________________
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of ARSCLIST automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 11:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ARSCLIST Digest - 7 Feb 2019 to 8 Feb 2019 (#2019-35)

Topics of the day:

  1. Compression (4)
  2. Mama Cass Elliot Interview (2)

Date:    Fri, 8 Feb 2019 16:59:51 +0100
From:    George Brock-Nannestad <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Compression

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Thank you for the reference to an article in the NYT by Greg Milner, whose book probably has not been read by nearly as many.

Compression is good when you listen in an environment where the signal-to-noise ratio is less than 10dB, close to the dangerous noise dose at 80+ dB: many cars.

The film industry used such techniques for film soundtracks from the 1930s on. They used calibrated compressor-expanders. When the Danish film sound company called Fonofilm moved from sound-on-film to sound-on-disk (Ortofon) in the mid-1940s they collaborated with the Danish record company TONO, and indeed TONO recorded 78 rpm records using this technology to increase the dynamic ratio on records. I only knew one person who had the gramophone reproduction equipment for these records: the former head of recording operations at TONO. I myself used a Source Engineering preamplifier for many years in the 1970s, and it had an expansion feature apart from other useful settings, and it worked (without calibration) for the TONO records. I also used it on the Flanders & Swann song "the Ostrich" (At the Drop of Another Hat), where I really could get frightening sounds out of its climax.

Best wishes,

George