Monospaced Font

ARSCLIST  March 2019

ARSCLIST March 2019

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [ARSCLIST] Can't find a stylus that doesn't distort

Corey Bailey <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Mar 2019 19:42:47 -0700

Hi all,

I've had a couple of these types of microscopes and here is my $0.02:

My main complaint is the focus adjustment which, is way too difficult to
operate at useful magnifications. My answer to this problem is to use a
wooden coffee stirrer on the focus ring which provides some leverage and
allows for more precise adjustments at higher magnifications. The one
listed has a 2MP camera and I have found that resolution to be barely
adequate. I currently use one that has a 5MP camera and that seems to be
just enough. More would be better but the cost is significantly higher.
Know that, on the provided stand, you are not going to be able to
document a flaw on the disc that is anywhere near the the middle or the
label. In fact, the stand is generally useless anywhere near a
turntable. Additionally, the higher the magnification, the closer the
microscope has to be to the object being viewed. In order to view a
stylus in detail on the current microscope I use, (A Celestron) the
stylus has to literally be inside the microscope shield. Not sure about
the one being discussed. For viewing or documenting issues that exist on
the surface of a disc, I have cemented a rubber "O" Ring to the clear
shield of the microscope. This allows the microscope to be placed
directly on the disc without fear of damage to the grooves. Know that it
does not take alot of magnification to view a record groove, especially
a wide format groove. 50 to 150X is plenty. I often use a 10X loupe
before dragging out the microscope. Viewing the surface wear of a stylus
is another matter which is where the higher magnifications are useful. I
have yet to figure out a way to view a tape recorder head that is
installed on a deck with a digital microscope. Really useful though when
the tape head is uninstalled. I've used mine for viewing the head gap
while re-lapping.

Pros:

These gadgets are really handy for for viewing up close and saving a
picture of what you are looking at..

Cons:

Quality. Don't expect Bausch & Lomb precision or optics. You get what
you pay for.

Corey

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net