ARSCLIST  March 2019

ARSCLIST March 2019

Re: DVD rescue

John Schroth <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Mar 2019 17:27:40 -0500

Hi Frank

The CD/DVD Sharpie markers are also available at Staples. At one point I
remember getting on the Sharpie website and they had a PDF available
with the chemical compounds listed for both the standard Sharpie and the
CD/DVD Sharpie. They were definitely different - but this is from the
manufacturer not an independent test.

I think I'd trust Sharpie markers before Memorex. I know that for quite
a while, Memorex outsourced it's DVD manufacturing to CMC magnetics. At
one point CMC Magnetics was one of the worst manufacturers of DVD media.
If Memorex offered poor quality DVD's, I'd be suspect of a marker
offered by them.

At the cable access TV station I volunteer for, we've been DVD
programming based for the past 15 years. We've been using the CD/DVD
Sharpie markers the whole time. No disk fails yet for thousands and
thousands of disks. That said we're using JVC Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim
premium lacquer DVD's which are supposed to have a thicker protective
layer. One version of each show is burnt to one of the two manufacturers
and labeled with the Sharpie marker. A duplicate version is burnt to the
other manufacturer without marker labeling and sleeved in an all-paper
sleeve (no clear plastic window) and stored off site to the first
version. We have a disk succession plan that calls for making new copies
of both disks every ten to twelve years as dictated by our master
database. Master disks are burnt via computer and disk authoring
software at 4X speed, no faster. Backup disks are made on a Microboards
duplication tower set up for 4X speed as well. To date, no data has been
lost - all disks are playable without any issues.

I suspect we'll be moving to a file based system at some point in the
future, but operating budgets for small local cable access stations are
very very tight these days and our DVD playout system works without any
issues. As long as Charter/Spectrum Cable continues to stand it's ground
on not offering HD broadcast for local cable access stations, we've seen
no need to change.

I would not recommend archiving these days to optical disk format for
too many reasons to mention but for our cable access station, it still
makes sense.

Regards,

John Schroth

MTS