Dear colleagues --
We have extended the call for papers for the Journal of the International
Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives, Issue no. 50.
NEW Important Dates
May 15, 2019: Full article submission deadline
June 30, 2019: Journal release
Editor: Bertram Lyons ([log in to unmask])
General Call for Papers
IASA Journal invites proposals covering general topics of interest to the
sound and audiovisual archives communities throughout the world. Articles,
reviews, essays, and technical documents are welcome.
Issue no. 50 Special Considerations:
In IASA’s 50th year, we coincidentally will release the 50th issue of the
IASA Journal! We encourage submissions that respond to critical issues for
audiovisual archives today:
* Degradation in legacy physical collections, especially magnetic carriers
* Obsolescence of playback equipment and strategies for acquiring spare
parts for playback machines
* Selecting sustainable and compatible target codecs and wrappers for
A-to-D video reformatting projects
* Strategies for handling the proliferation of born-digital audiovisual
formats and codecs
* Planning for the necessary technical infrastructure needed to ingest and
manage the large digital collections being created and acquired at sound
and audiovisual archives worldwide
* Intellectual property rights
* Metadata strategies for time-based media objects
* Providing meaningful and useful access to sound and audiovisual
collections for researchers of all kinds and in all locations
Please consider submitting an article covering one of these topics or the
results of independent research that would be of interest to the IASA
membership and the international audiovisual archives community in general.
About the IASA Journal
The Journal of the International Association of Sound and Audiovisual
Archives represents the collected research and applied work of the global
audiovisual archives community. Also known as the IASA Journal, it is
published in issues bi-annually and available as an open-access Journal
online (https://journal.iasa-web.org). The IASA Journal uses a double-blind
peer-review methodology (the authors do not know who reviews their papers,
and reviewers do not know who wrote the papers they are reviewing).
The IASA Journal is constantly looking for material to publish. Please
submit articles, research output, or reviews you consider of interest to
IASA via the online submission page (
Information for Authors
Authors need to register (http://journal.iasa-web.org/pubs/user/register)
with the journal prior to submitting or, if already registered, can simply
login (http://journal.iasa-web.org/pubs/login) and begin the five-step
1. You will be informed of IASA's intention to review the article no more
than one week after your submission.
2. Soft copy as a .doc or .rtf or .txt file should be submitted with
3. Illustrations (photographs, diagrams, tables, maps, etc) may be
submitted as low resolution files placed in the file or sent separately.
Once the article has been accepted for publication, high resolution copies
will be required and should be sent as separate documents.
4. Use footnotes not endnotes.
5. Use in-text referencing, and all references should be listed at the end
of the article in alphabetic order and chronologically for each author.
Both should adhere to Harvard style guidelines for references (quick review
6. Authors are encouraged to submit original research or to develop their
conference presentations into more detailed accounts and/or arguments for
publication in the journal.
7. Abstracts (maximum 250 words each) must be included with each submission
and may be in French, German, Spanish, or English.
Copyright Notice: Unless stated otherwise, authors license their work under
a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
License. Signed articles and reviews represent the opinions of the authors
and do not necessarily reflect the policies of the Association.
Please contact [log in to unmask] with any questions.
Thanks, and best --
Bertram Lyons, Editor, IASA Journal
New York | Wisconsin | Florida | Wyoming | Chile