I am working on a multi-tape project done in 1/4-track and I had cobbled
together a quarter track assembly for an A80. I was adjusting the
azimuth when sproing--the screw stripped out. I had another A80 head
block I got when i purchased my load that had the same issue. The hole
can be drilled out and threaded and have a screw insert put in, so it's
repairable, but I don't have time or the parts to do it right now. So I
looked for another solution and thought I'd mention this issue.
When I put together another Sony APR-5000 quarter track head block, to
continue this project, I noticed the azimuth screw was very stiff, so I
pulled it out and lubricated it with a few drops of Kluber Constant GLY
2100 lithium soap -- what Studer used in their late model capstan motors
and my go-to lubricant for mechanical linkages.
Works like an absolute charm now!
Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask]
Aurora, Ontario, Canada 647 479 2800
Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.