ARSCLIST  July 2019

ARSCLIST July 2019

Re: Cassette pressure pads, Nakamichi Dragon NAAC Azimuth Correction with link

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Jul 2019 17:57:28 -0400

Hi, Martin, NAAC (Nakamichi Automatic Azimuth Correction) as implemented
on the Dragon is interesting. It adjusts over a more limited range than
the wide ranging field (especially oral history) cassettes that I've had
to digitize, so it is not a cure-all. I have Nakamichi MR-1s as well.

Yes, azimuth drifts along the length of the tape and I often monitor it
with Stereotool.com 's display, one for each cassette. I'ave modified my
Dragons to be remotely manually adjustable, using an "up/down"
spring-loaded toggle switch. NAAC generally does NOT readjust in the
middle of a tape in my experience--although I may have caught it doing
it once or twice, it doesn't seem to do it when I'd want it.

Here is the explainer on how the Dragon's NAAC works (and other things
about this interesting machine).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ca8ksp4q6gga35k/Nak_dragon_folder.pdf?dl=0

Cheers,

Richard