ARSCLIST July 2020

Re: Comments on the open letter

"Rodriguez, Sandy" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Jul 2020 14:02:22 +0000

I've been reading this thread with interest between meetings, and just wanted to share something many people may not be aware of- The formation of the Women in Recorded Sound collective in March 2016 was, in part, a response to the ineffectiveness of ARSC's anti-harassment policy. One of my deepest regrets as a member-at-large on the 2013 ARSC Board that adopted the policy is staying silent when a Board member suggested it "quietly be placed on the website." The inevitable consequence of this move was an ineffectual policy as at the time, it wasn't announced prior to ARSC events as a reminder to attendees. So it comes as no surprise that when a woman publicly posted a demeaning experience during the 2015 ARSC conference on social media, she had no idea that she had an avenue to report the incident. What is the point of a policy if the people it's intended to protect has no idea it exists?

The Women in Recorded Sound collective pushed the ARSC Board to announce the policy in its conference email reminders and during the opening plenary at its 50th conference, but it has not been done consistently since that time. It's also important to recognize that this is what informed the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee's task of creating a code of conduct and a procedure for reporting incidents.

I'd also like to add support to what Sarah and others have articulated about this organization and the experiences of women and Black, Indigenous, and other People of Color (BIPOC). We are not attending the same conferences; at least, our experiences are not all the same when we do attend ARSC. So I would kindly suggest that if you have an opinion on how inclusive, diverse, and welcoming this organization's members, spaces, and events are and you are not a member of the groups experiencing these unwelcoming environments, you perhaps consider that your comments are not informed and that to become informed is to listen and believe. And if you claim to be a progressive who cares about diversity, but continue to deny the validity of the experiences of the women and BIPOC who make up your organization, I would question whether you care about the organization no matter how long you've been around. As Sommer says, this organization is made up of people, and ARSC will never realize its full potential if some of the people are creating unwelcoming environments by harassment while some (not all) of the liberal white men of ARSC claim, "I've never seen it so it must not exist!" If you are worried about the reputation of ARSC, please kindly turn your attention to the perpetrators of these harassing incidents. They deserve your outrage, not us.

To that end, I think the ARSC Board did an incredible job in their statement against police brutality and racism and that the need for ARSC, as an organization, to publish such a statement was well-articulated within that statement. The code of conduct and incident reporting procedures are demonstrated acts that support these values, and I commend the Board for having the courage to stand with this organization's Black members.

I would also caution that we locate ourselves within the long arc of history by recognizing how insidiously dehumanizing acts give rise to dangerous conditions for marginalized people, and importantly, recognize how we might be participating in the advancement of hate. I suggest folks familiarize themselves with the Anti-Defamation League's Pyramid of Hate (https://www.adl.org/sites/default/files/documents/pyramid-of-hate.pdf) which notes that the more we allow behaviors at the lower level(s) of the pyramid, the more it grants permission to accept the behaviors further up the pyramid. I'm sure many ARSC members would agree that we appear to be pretty far up on the pyramid. I am sincerely worried by the dehumanization of BIPOC in this country, and it's going to take everyone who cares about humanity to see how various principles that we hold dear can actually accelerate us toward devastating consequences. When you read or hear someone speaking freely and even eloquently about an idea or opinion that they have, but upon close examination, you recognize that the ideas they articulate are essentially dismissive, dehumanizing, or harmful of certain groups of people, I would caution you to think twice about putting it to print. That said, I am not standing against the Board and Newsletter Editor in their decision to print Kurt's letter, I'm just asking that the next time such a letter is presented, we deeply consider what ideas we may be providing a platform for.

Thanks,

Sandy

--

Sandy Rodriguez

Associate Dean of Special Collections & Archives - Librarian III

Affiliated Faculty, Latinx and Latin American Studies

University of Missouri--Kansas City

326D Miller Nichols Library | 5100 Rockhill Road | Kansas City, MO 64110-2499

(816) 235-2229 | [log in to unmask] | @audiocat7

she/her/hers