]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ARSCLIST Home

ARSCLIST  January 2021

ARSCLIST January 2021

Re: Finding and Deleting Duplicate Digital Tracks in Large Collections

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 15 Jan 2021 12:45:08 -0500

text/plain

Hello, David,

In my mind, a tablet or phone is not designed for this type of work. I
suspect there are some tools for OSX and for Linux that could do the
job, but I'm only aware of Windows options. Sorry. I'm certain others
could provide equivalents for this Windows software in other desktop
operating systems.

I currently have three 1920x1080 screens in my studio (two at my
scanning station and my son has two at his main computer, but he also
uses both his laptop with 1920x1080 monitor and iPad at his remote
teaching workstation). Nothing beats large quantities of screen real-estate!

Tablets are becoming more powerful and my son has a large iPad Pro which
he does good things on, but he's using his desktop setups for most of
the heavy lifting like image, audio, and video editing, although he does
some image editing on the iPad.

One of the things I found is that in looking into even simple file
copying/organizing under IOS it seemed difficult a few years ago. My
application, I thought, was simple: copy selected files from a camera's
SD card to two USB thumb drives every night while traveling.

A year ago with a USB-C capable higer-end Android phone (and later with
a low-end tablet that's slower than the phone) I was able to copy the
images from the SD card to the memory in the device and then out to the
thumb drives, but I've done no travel since I figured that out due to
the pandemic.

I did find that it was easier/faster/safer to start a new folder in my
camera each day, which I didn't feel the need to do when I was doing
this on Windows. I don't know what advances in file management have come
to IOS, but both IOS and Android are more locked down than Windows and
Linux. I don't know about OSX.

So, I guess I was the wrong person to ask, and my IOS data is not
current, but rather from 2-3 years ago when I thought an iPad might make
a nice travel companion instead of a Windows laptop. Now my Android
devices have done what I need. Switching to IPTV was the reason for the
tablet at home.

Cheers,

Richard