Help for PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

PCCLIST Home

PCCLIST  January 2021

PCCLIST January 2021

Core Catalog Management IG Session Registration

Jianying Shou <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Jan 2021 17:08:05 -0500

**Cross posted to multiple lists**

The Catalog Management IG will be hosting the following presentations as part of ALA Midwinter IG week.
Date: Wednesday, February 3
Time:12:00-1:00pm CT.

Registration is required to join, please use this link to register: https://ala-events.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0qduqqrD0sH9w99GBKEXBm70YVTnM-oVei

1. Keep calm and migrate on: Getting Buy In for Consortial Changes During a Migration

Jennifer M. Eustis
Metadata Librarian, UMass Amherst

Library systems migrations are disruptive. Cleanup projects start sometimes years in advance. Workflows and processes are reviewed and often are changed. There might be staff who remember the last migration with not so fond memories of it. Other staff might be afraid of how their workflows are changing and if those changes will upend years of work. Others might push for more radical changes making those who don’t want changes even more nervous. There are numerous working parts and gears. All too often communication becomes an issue. How, when, and what to communicate to which groups is not always evident. Imagine this at the consortial level. In this presentation, I will share how the Five College Consortium has adapted and built on a grassroots approach to communication and decision making called open houses for our migration project.

2. OCLC Data Sync Reports with Python

Colin Bitter
Head of Cataloging and Metadata
R. Barbara Gitenstein Library
The College of New Jersey

OCLC’s data sync program within Collection Manager allows OCLC member libraries to synchronize their holdings in WorldCat. While the service is convenient and easy to use, the post processing reports delivered by OCLC need to be examined in order to consistently align data between a local ILS/LSP and WorldCat. What to do with each report can be confusing, particularly in light of OCLC’s updates to the program in summer 2020; indeed, as many as eight reports can be generated for each file of records sent to OCLC. What should be done with upgraded OCLC numbers? Do newly created bibs in WorldCat need attention? Do all reports require attention? This presentation will show how to simplify the processing of data sync reports using Python and OCLC’s Metadata API.

3. Public Notes to the Rescue! Connecting Resources, Services, and Practices in the Library Catalog

Rebecca Hunnicutt
Collections Management Librarian, Georgia Southern University
Jeffrey M. Mortimore
Discovery Services Librarian, Georgia Southern University

Communicating connections between library resources, services, and practices is challenging, especially via the catalog. How do we help researchers find special collection items, locate finding aids, and schedule viewings? How do we communicate that demand-driven ebooks are briefly available, but then must be requested for purchase? To use resources effectively, patrons need to be aware of related services and practices but relaying that information can be difficult. What if the catalog is the patron’s only point of contact?
During this presentation, we will share examples and simple techniques for leveraging public notes to make connections between resources, services, and practices. Specifically, we’ll look at how HTML formatting enhances notes to engage patrons with these services and practices. In doing so, we will consider how technical and public service librarians can work together to develop effective notes.

The full Core IG week schedule can be found here: http://www.ala.org/core/continuing-education/interest-group-week

Best wishes,

Elizabeth Miraglia, Co-chair Core CMIG
Jianying Shou, Co-chair Core CMIG
Peggy Griesinger, Co-vice chair Core CMIG
Lauren Geiger, Co-vice chair Core CMIG