ARSCLIB April 2021

Brunswick chamber key 1931

Mark John <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Apr 2021 19:03:24 +0200

Hello everybody!
*While working on the sound of 1931-32 Brunswick Argentina recordings we
come across the issue of chamber key tuning, that used to be
A=432hz(piano) to A=435hz(bandoneon). The artist we are working on
(Osvaldo Fresedo) recorded for Brunswick NY in 1929 and 1930 in this old
chamber key and switched to the modern A=440hz standard as he restarted
recording back in Argentina for Brunswick in 1931 and 1932.
Remarkable fact is, that as he changed to Victor recording company in
1933 he started again to record in the old chamber key A=432/435!
Here our question:
*Are there any hints that the record company of Brunswick Argentina did
force artists to switch to the new A=440 chamber key in 1931-32 or did
Victor maybe refuse the new chamber key A=440hz in the early 30s and
force musicians maybe to keep the old chamber key?

Thanks for your help!