]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ARSCLIST Home

ARSCLIST  April 2021

ARSCLIST April 2021

Re: [78-L] What happened to Columbia's masters and the masters from some of the other companies? Could they still be used?

"Andreas K. Meyer" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Apr 2021 07:37:41 -0500

text/plain

For Kurt Weill's Street Scene original cast recording, ML4129 (consumer
LP matrix), they used the master XLP867 (internal company library matrix
number).  This tells me they used a tape master to create a cutting
master for this original "vinyl" release - which is the second release.
This first is the 78 set MM683.  I would be very surprised if the XLP
tape for the first vinyl release utilized the metal discs. Even if there
were mastering processes in 1948 as described by Mr Rooney, that would
be counter productive as LP requires different gain structures and EQ
(granted RIAA was not fully standardized until 1956).  Without calling
in the XLP tape to the studio and reading the original mastering cards
from Columbia, I can only be 99% confident they used the lacquers for
the first vinyl release.  This is what we usually find for "firsts"
vinyl from pre1950 reissues.

https://78records.wordpress.com/2020/12/02/tales-from-the-vault-the-unauthorized-columbia-vinyl-pressings-1960/

>> Given the money and necessary permissions you can certainly make
> records from old metal parts if they are still in decent condition.
>
>> Jay

 If

> these masterswere found, would it still be possible to make
 recordings

> from them?
>
>> Take care,
>>
>> Eric