ARSCLIST  February 2022

ARSCLIST February 2022

Re: Sony MiniDisc Questions

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Feb 2022 15:28:24 -0500

Hi, John.

Eli gave you the same information I was going to provide. I do have an
MZ-RH1 and it appears to require the charged chewing-gum-stick LiIon
battery installed and charged to work (even if powered via the adapter).

I THINK it will do all flavours of STEREO MDs, and the SonicStage
software works with it. I maintain a 3.2 GHz Pentium IV Windows XP
machine...it actually works much better now that I put a solid state
drive in it <smile>. Like many of my auxiliary machines, I
remote-desktop into it and things seem to run fine, although I can't
remember when I fired this up last, and I don't like to run the battery
up and down as I don't know where to get a spare.

This is a funny  story. A nice client sent me the MDs and didn't
identify that they were anything but the run-of-the mill MDs and I have
several (maybe I'm down to one) portable machines and a consumer deck.
The consumer deck has a digital output (I'm thinking it's optical, but
it might be coax), but it wouldn't play these.

I researched and found out about the MZ-RH1 and called my local Sony
store (since disappeared). They didn't have one, but a store in Montreal
did, so that was shipped to the local store and I picked it up. That
model disappeared from retail soon after.

The job about paid for the MZ-RH1 but little else.

Now, there are OTHER MD formats that were used in "porta-studios" that
are incompatible with all that I've said above. I have no idea how to
capture those other than with the original machine...and I know nothing
about that ecosystem.

Back when I was working for National TeleConsultants, our VP of
marketing gave me a small carved wooden figurine of a man sitting
cross-legged holding his head in his hands. When I was given it, he
said, "this is you after Sony announced another format." It's true. At
that point it seemed they were announcing a new videotape format every
year or two...and if they weren't Panasonic or JVC were.

Good luck, John!

Cheers,

Richard

On 2022-02-25 1:47 p.m., Eli Bildirici wrote:
> You can upload vanilla, non-HiMD MDs at faster than real time with an MZ-RH1 or MZ-M200. IIRC the files are converted to PCM during this transfer. This was the last generation of portable players released, and will also handle the later formats you mentioned. The Platinum-MD software, a replacement for Sony’s SonicStage software that works with modern OSs (across macOS, Windows, and Linux, to boot), claims to be able to use this feature:
>
> https://github.com/gavinbenda/platinum-md
>
> otherwise you will have to install SonicStage on a Windows machine, and will have to use modified unsigned drivers if it’s a modern install of 64-bit Windows:
>
> https://www.minidisc.wiki/guides/sonicstagew10
>
> I never managed to get my hands on one of these though, and have never seen one in the wild for less than $350. Maybe if you go to Japan, and it’s unclear when that’ll be allowed again.
>
> Eli Bildirici
>
>> On Feb 25, 2022, at 10:28 AM, John Schroth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Fellow ARSC Members.
>>
>> We have a project that just came in-house, that includes a collection of Sony MiniDiscs. I've heard and read a bit about this format but in 20 years of business, this is the first time we've had this format in house.
>>
>> After several hours of research, I still cannot come up with a deck that we should consider purchasing for this job. I'm asking for some advice from the collective.
>>
>> Is there one playback deck that is the best option for migration from MiniDisc to file format that covers all the advancements in MiniDisc technology, including the capability for the long
>> playback MDLP modes, ATRAC3plus (3.5) or higher encoding, Hi-MD, and any other advancement considerations?
>>
>> Is there a way to connect this playback deck to a computer and simply migrate the data off MiniDisc, in faster than real time, just like we all rip data from an audio CD to file? If so, can you recommend software, proper computer platform and operating system, etc?
>>
>> Looking forward to any input that the expert opinions at ARSC can provide, as this one is outside of my wheelhouse!
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>>
>> John Schroth
>> Media Transfer Service, LLC

Track Format - Speed - Equalization - Azimuth - Noise Reduction