]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

NLS-KINDLE Home

NLS-KINDLE  October 2022

NLS-KINDLE October 2022

Thoughts on preparing for the upcoming beta

Deborah Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>

NLS-Kindle <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Oct 2022 18:38:52 +0000

text/plain

As an experienced user of Android, iOS and PC, I would suggest all of you become familiar with the existing BARD mobile on your Kindle Fire now, especially if you are new to the access technology, Voice View , or using magnification.
One thing I notice when helping folks on Android or Kindle, especially folks with some vision is that they frequently hit the wrong button when trying to navigate and end up at the wrong place in a book. I'm hoping the beta resolves this issue, which wasn't one I was having, but one many of the students I assist are having.

Another issue I saw on other people's Kindles but not mine was the volume was inconsistent. People would try to turn down the volume of the beep and it would lower the voice  of the human narrator or Voice View voice. There are actually three things you might want to adjust volume on: the narration of the book,  voice view and the beep confirming a button was pressed. Find out how it's working for you now so you'll notice any changes, since unlike screen readers, you might not be able to run both versions, the shipping version and the beta simultaneously.

--Debee