EAD May 1997

sgml parsers

Carolyn Foster <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 May 1997 13:55:50 CDT

I'm trying to fulfill my promise to RLG to markup a finding aid following a
FAST workshop. Before taking the markup to the nth degree however, I thought
it best to parse it to see if I was heading in the right direction.

So, I downloaded NSGMLS and SGMLS and can't make heads or tails of them or
their "documentation." The programs seems to execute (my os is Windows 95),
but I always get the message "character "x" not allowed in prolog" where "x" is
the first character typed. Then the program seems to fall asleep (talk techie
to me), further typing just sits on the screen including quit and exit and I
must quit it using Windows termination.

My computer experience is limited to DOS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carolyn Foster
Texas State Archives