------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 07:16:37 -0700 (PDT)
Reply-to: [log in to unmask]
From: David Oettinger <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Job opening, Head of Technical Services
This is being posted to a number of lists. Please excuse any duplication.
POSITION: Librarian III, Head of Technical Services
STARTING DATE: Open
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Until position is filled
1. MLS from an ALA-accredited school.
2. Three years cataloging experience in an academic library.
3. Expertise with AACR2, LCSH, LC classification, MARC formats, OCLC
4. Experience in authority control and database maintenance in an
5. Supervisory skills. Ability to both build and work within cooperative
6. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to interact
positively and productively with library colleagues and with university
students, staff, and faculty.
7. Familiarity with the Dynix automated system, HTML, and the virtual
library concept is strongly desired
1. Direct the activities of the Technical Services area.
2. Do original cataloging of print and electronic materials.
3. Supervise the activities of two professional staff who do copy cataloging
and maintain our periodical collections.
4. Be responsible for database maintenance of the Dynix automated system.
5. Stay aware of new developments in cataloging, technical services and
information storage and retrieval and advise the Director of Libraries and
other members of the professional staff of same.
6. Maintain Tech, Services statistics, contribute to the Libraries Web
page and undertake specific projects assigned by the Director of Libraries.
7. Serve on Library and University committees.
The salary for this 12-month position is dependent upon qualification
and experience. Salary range: $32,213.00 - 45,256. Benefits include 21
working days of annual leave, 15 working days of sick leave choice of
TIAA-CREF or Virgin Islands Government retirement plans and a comprehensive
group medical, dental and life insurance program.
TRAVEL AND SHIPPING:
If applicable, economy air fare to the V.I. and a $1,250.00 shipping
allowance will be paid by the University.
A letter of application, a current C.V., college transcripts and three
letters of reference should be sent to
Director of Libraries
University of the Virgin Islands,
#2 John Brewers Bay,
St. Thomas, USVI 00802-9990.
Initial applications can be sent by e-mail to: [log in to unmask]
UVI is an EEO, ADA, AA employer and educator.
Visit the UVI Web site at http://www.uvi.edu
Visit the Libraries' Web site at http://coda.uvi.edu/libpage.htm