AMFELLOWS@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

AMFELLOWS Home

AMFELLOWS  September 1997

AMFELLOWS September 1997

Re: Shockwave Puzzle

"Judith K. Graves" <[log in to unmask]>

American Memory Fellows <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Sep 1997 15:30:12 -0400

THE PUZZLE!!!

From Linda:
>  I visited the American Memory site and worked the new shockwave puzzle on
>the Learning Page.
>  This is another way to introduce students to visual literacy and using
>photographs as primary documents (Bill Tally's workshop). Wouldn't it be
>nice if some of the photographs chosen for the puzzles could be coordinated
>with or tied into the projects we are doing this school year.
_______________
Funny thing you should mention projects, Linda!  We have selected six
months' worth of puzzles (24 images) to get started and some of these will
dovetail nicely with Fellows' projects.  These puzzles highlight different
collections, but with an overarching theme that can be established within
the collection.  Upcoming months focus on the Civil War Photographs with a
look at the role of African-Americans in the war; America's First Look at
the Camera with a look at family photographs and the notion of recording
memory; the Conservation Movement; the role of women as documented in the
Farm Security Photographs; and Architecture and Interior Design for 20th
Century America and the 1939 World's Fair.
We'll focus on themes across collections for the remainder of the year.
We'd love to hear from Fellows with suggestions for upcoming months.

If you have any comments to make or to add to our proposed first six months'
selections, please do.  October will be Civil War; November will be family
photographs from Daguerreotypes (America's First Look) for its Thanksgiving
tie-in.  Beyond that, we are open to suggestion as to which collection to
present when.
_________________________

>  The title is fitting "The Big Picture." Here is one image in a collection
>of thousands and also a small piece in American History/Culture.
>
>  Bravo! One of the most practical interactive activities I've seen on the Web.
>
>  Can these be archived so we can use more than one at a time? I figured
>out how to find the previous puzzles, but I didn't see a link.

__________
Yes, they will be archived - when there is an archive!  This is the first.
Next week, when a new puzzle appears, this puzzle will initiate the archive.
Students will be able to do previous weeks' puzzles to keep them up to speed
with the theme of the month.  At the end of this month, we'll start a
monthly archive, so that teachers can choose whichever puzzles they want to
fit with their lessons.

>Linda
We're glad you liked it.  Please send us your feedback for future puzzles.
Judy
Judith K. Graves
Instructional Technology Designer
Educational Services