Re: Possible inquiry coming your way

Kirk Ankeney <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Oct 1997 10:44:57 -0600

Hi Martha--the Fuqua connection is really exciting! I'm traveling to =
Stratford Hall again for a meeting scheduled for 13-14 December, and =
mentioned to the folks there that I had spoken with you about their =
efforts to use the internet to spread the word and wealth of information =
about Stratford. I suggested that you might be able (and willing?) to =
venture down to the Plantation to discuss the American Memory Fellows =
program as a potential model for future participants of their own =
excellent Monticello-Stratford Hall summer programs. Any chance you'd be =
interested in joining in on such a conversation? =

On other fronts, I'm putting together the "document of the month" to go =
online at Stratford for November, and I've selected a short Richard Henry =
Lee letter from Chantilly, VA on 21 July 1776 to Thomas Jefferson (in =
Philadephia) regarding the Declaration of Independence. Lee consoles =
Jefferson about the fact that Congress had "mangled" his original version =
of the Declaration. I thought the piece was a timely one in light of =
Pauline Maier's new book, American Scripture, which downplays Jefferson's =
legacy in the drafting of the Declaration. The letter I'm using is =
contained in the Julian P. Boyd, editor, edition (1950) of Jefferson's =
papers (Vol 1). Would the original be in the possession of the Library of =
Congress? If so, would it be possible to situate a copy of it on the LOC =
website which could be linked to/from Stratford? It would be great to be =
able to send Stratford visitors to the LOC to see the original manuscript =
on line. =

The offer still stands for you to join us (Rich, Carol, me) in Monterey =
for the California League of Middle Schools Technology Convention on 14-16 =
November. Our presentation is at 2 PM on Friday the 14th. I understand =
flights east/west are relatively cheap just now (an air fare war broke out =
yesterday, $313 gets me from San Diego to D.C. next month); and, I've made =
arrangements for a 2 bedroom cabin with kitchen already, so your =
accommodations would be gratis. =