Help for AMFELLOWS Archives

AMFELLOWS Archives

AMFELLOWS@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

AMFELLOWS Home

AMFELLOWS  October 1997

AMFELLOWS October 1997

Second sharing installment from the Diner State

WILLIAM FERNEKES <[log in to unmask]>

American Memory Fellows <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Oct 1997 09:54:22 -0400

Hey there, friends.  It=27s the NJ contingent with another update on our =
project.  Before we get started on the details, we invite you to two =
sessions which will be given at the NCSS Conference in Cincinnati.  The =
first session is called =22New Jersey:  Center of the Universe=22 (keep =
reading, this is not a joke), which features a WWW site that our school =
developed in conjunction with Spotswood HS (Middlesex County NJ) and the =
Rutgers University-New Brunswick Special Collections and Archives.  The =
session is on Friday, Nov. 21 in the morning, and will showcase the =
collaborative development process for the site, student and teacher =
feedback, and the benefits for staff development of a collaborative, =
interactive primary source use project.  And we=27ll have some good NJ =
tunes for you courtesy of Sinatra, Springsteen, and others, plus some =
other surpises.  But no Turnpike tokens.

The second session is on Saturday, Nov. 22 in the afternoon, and showcases =
a project developed with the U. S. Holocaust Memorial Museum.  Their =
Student Outreach Project, a WWW site specifically developed for students, =
was piloted at Hunterdon Central in the spring of 1996 and then the pilot =
project was expanded to include 7 schools in the USA, including Paul =
Filio=27s Hughes Center (another AMMEM fellow, as you know).  We will be =
showing the site, discussing the responses of students and faculty to it, =
explaining the results of two research studies done about the site, and =
casting possible paths for future development.  In particular, we will be =
examining the implications for teacher training and classroom instruction =
in this new electronic environment.

If you can=27t come to Cincinnati, you can examine the NJ=20
project site at this URL:

http://scc01.rutgers.edu/newjerseyhistory/

For the USHMM site, you can use this URL:

http://education.ushmm.org (you can enter as unregistered users)

If this URL doesn=27t work for the USHMM site, contact me off this list at =
wfern=40eclipse.net and I=27ll get you on.

Now, back to our project.

Since our last posting, students have been making progress in acquiring =
their sources, albeit somewhat inconsistently.  Some students have found =
the American Memory site difficult to access for the foreign policy theme, =
and there certainly are fewer collections on the site regarding 20th =
century U. S. History for this theme than for others (i. e., human rights, =
political participation, economic change).  But since we=27re not =
requiring our students to have all their primary sources from the American =
Memory site, this isn=27t an overwhelming problem. =20

Harlene did an excellent job in preparing multimedia process development =
sheets for the specific projects that our students chose to create.  She =
created them about these processes:

1.  Developing Powerpoint Presentations and how to save material from the =
American Memory collections for such projects.
2.  Saving images for a Family Scrapbook project.
3.  Creating a magazine using WordPerfect 6.0 and importing images into =
that product.

Prior to this, I had created a series of project specification sheets for =
the range of project options we offered the students.  Each group reviewed =
the specifications, then made decisions about what to create.  Here are =
their decisions

1890-1909 group--Magazine
1910-1919--Family Scrapbook
1920-1929--One group is doing a Powerpoint presentation
while the other on this era is doing a magazine
1930-1941--Magazine

Students in these groups have also now finished a sheet called =22From =
Concept to Completion=22, which requires them to specify their actual =
contributions to each final project.  As an example, here is what the =
1930-1941 group is planning to include in their magazine:  (each student =
is responsible for 2 items, minimum)

Theme:  Migration--diary entries, advertisements, eyewitness account, =
advice column, interview, =22voice of the people=22 column
Theme:  Human rights--newsarticle, editorial, obituaries, =22voice of the =
people=22 column
Theme:  Economy--editorial, advice column
Theme:  Foreign policy--series of letters, daily journal, diary entries, =
=22how to=22 article, obituaries

Each student has defined and refined their 3 investigation questions and =
linked them to specific work products as noted above.  Now the hard work =
is at hand--taking their research and creating the first drafts of these =
items.

So, I=27m handing out today (10/9) a sheet called =22Remaining Schedule =
for American Memory Project=22 which details when things are due, their =
value in terms of their quarter grade (remember, we=27re on block =
scheduling, and this course ends on Nov. 6), and the processes for having =
their first drafts reviewed (peer and by teachers).  Also, when the =
student presentations occur, we are having the students assume an =
historical character of the period, so they will present them in the first =
person.  To facilitate that, we created an =22Historical Biography/Resume=
=22 form that each student will create to help them get into character for =
the presentation.

Each group will also develop a strategy for their presentation, i. e., a =
creative context in which they will present their essential findings from =
their magazine, scrapbook, and so forth.  For Powerpoint presenters, they =
will amplify the content of their visuals, and avoid reading from the =
slides directly. =20

Harlene and I are developing rubrics for the evaluation of the presentation=
s this week, and we=27ll review them next week.  Presentations begin on =
10/27 and will proceed in chronological order.  The audience will be =
involved in gathering information about each theme addressed by each =
group, so by the end of the week they should have a thorough set of =
essential findings from each group about each theme.  Key ideas from these =
presentations will also be reflected on an in-class final exam.

That=27s the plan and what we=27ve done so far.  What has been the student =
response?

It has been pretty favorable, but there have been mixed results in some =
cases.  Students have initially found the American Memory site complex to =
use, but as their familiarity with it grew, it became easier to find =
material.  Some students mistook background statements and overviews of =
the collections for primary sources themselves, and I corrected them as we =
went along.  Oh yes, we had each student analyze one primary source from =
the American Memory site related to their theme, and the results were =
pretty good using our generic analysis form, particularly on their second =
try after getting my feedback on the first attempt.

Another problem arose with students in specific groups who have what we =
might call lower motivation than their peers.  I have 3 students right now =
who are not passing the course;  one is waiting to leave school when he is =
18 to take the GED, and another is having a very difficult transition to =
our school from a very small religious school attended in the past.  We =
have been monitoring their performance as the quarter proceeds, and are in =
contact with parents.  Sounds familiar, I=27m sure.  Readjustment in each =
group is taking place to address the lack of consistent performance.

Finally, we=27ve been documenting the work of selected students in the =
class by xeroxing their work products as they come in and keeping them for =
future reference.  We plan to reflect on these at the  conclusion of the =
quarter when we assess the entire project and revise it for use again =
during the second semester of the school year.

And to respond to Bill Tally=27s request for expectations:  here are the =
goals we set for the project at the outset, and which the students =