AMFELLOWS@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

AMFELLOWS Home

AMFELLOWS  January 1998

AMFELLOWS January 1998

1998 Institute -- and a departure

Martha Dexter <[log in to unmask]>

American Memory Fellows <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:50:23 -0500

Dear American Memory Fellows (please read to end),
I'm happy to be able to announce that the National Digital Library Program
has obtained funding that will support an American Memory Fellows Program in
1998-99, including a 1998 Institute, thanks to the successful program that
all of you helped us to pilot last year.

The program for 1998-1999 will be modelled closely on the 1997 pilot.  The
EDC Center for Children and Technology will be working with the Library
again to facilitate the program.  The program will be officially announced
next week, and the application will be available on The Learning Page.
We'll also be sending out the application package to a wide mailing list
(including all of you).  Next week, on this listserv, you'll get the formal
announcement that we hope you'll share with your friends and colleagues.

Of course we are interested in support from you as the program is developed
and implemented. Bill Tally is coordinating facilitators and reviewers, and
is fine-tuning the 1997 evaluation report (which will be sent to all of you,
BTW).  So you may want to contact Bill or Susan Veccia at the Library if you
are interested in participating.

I'm sorry to have to tell you in this otherwise happy email message that I
will not be with the program as it continues.  I have accepted a senior
library management position in the Congressional Research Service at the
Library and will be leaving the NDL at the end of January.  As some of you
know I came to the Library from a career in information management in a
congressional support agency, and so am excited to be able to work with the
Congressional Research Service as they move toward a digital future in
service to Congress.

The NDL and American Memory has been an extraordinarily exciting and
satisfying program in which to work.  Much of that has to do with the
wonderful network of talented and energetic educators I have worked with
over the past three years, and especially the American Memory Fellows.  I
will miss you all -- believe me, your good work and inspiration will go with
me.  And happily, I will still be in the building here at the Library, and
will hope to see many of you as you continue to work with the Library of
Congress.

Also happily, there is an excellent team of library and education
professionals here in the NDL that will keep the ball rolling.  Susan, Judy,
Betty, Ursula, Lisa, and Karen are creative, talented, and dedicated to the
program, and ready to continue working with all of you.

So thanks for the memories, and all the best for the future...
Martha

 Martha Dexter
 National Digital Library Program
 Library of Congress