FEDLIB@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

Monospaced Font

FEDLIB Home

FEDLIB  February 1998

FEDLIB February 1998

ILS Maintenance -- Please Respond

Marcia D Talley <[log in to unmask]>

FEDLIB: Federal Librarians Discussion List

Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:54:14 -0500

 Subject: Integrated Library System Maintenance

 At the request of several Fedlink member librarians, the FLICC Information
 Technology Working Group has established a subgroup on Integrated Library
 System Maintenance. We are looking at this issue because several
 librarians have reported major headaches working with their local or
 regional contracting offices when the time came to renew ILS vendor
 maintenance contracts. These problems include those associated with a
 high turnover in contracting officers, having to write comprehensive
 statements of work, librarians being required to re-justify continually
 what is essentially a sole-source procurement and/or being required to do
 it on an annual basis.

 Therefore, the Information Technology Working Group is interested in
 gathering information on Integrated Library System (ILS) maintenance
 contracts currently being offered to members by various ILS vendors. This
 information will help the Working Group decide whether to ask Fedlink to
 investigate the possibility of providing "transfer pay" ILS maintenance
 contracts to members, beginning in FY99 or FY00, similar to the book and
 serials contracts currently in place.

 To help us, we would appreciate your answers to the following
 questions. Please respond directly to me: [log in to unmask], not
 to the list.

 1. Would you like Fedlink to offer transfer pay ILS contract maintenance
 services? Yes____ No ____

 2. If Fedlink were to offer such services, what services should vendors
 provide?
        Ongoing software maintenance ____
        Software upgrades ____
        Hardware maintenance ____
        Software training ____
        Consulting services ____
        Other ______________________________________________________

 3. If ILS contract maintenance services were available from Fedlink
 through transfer pay, would you contract for such services through
 Fedlink? Yes ____ No ____

 4. If Yes, at what projected dollar level? $_______________

 5. If No, why not?

 6. What ILS do you use? ___________________