[Cross-posted to AUTOCAT, SERIALST, and INTERCAT, please
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT - STANFORD UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES (Search
Position Title: Serials Cataloger/Authority Control Librarian
Classification: Assistant/Associate Librarian
Salary Range: Assistant Librarian: $35,424-$45,648
Associate Librarian: $39,264-$51,144
This position has two components: cataloging of serials,
and authority control (each 50%). In the serials cataloging
component, it has primary responsibility for original
cataloging of serials of all types. In the authority
control component, it is part of a team that is working to
bring SUL's bibliographic file under authority control, and
will be engaged in a variety of activities related to that
Stanford University Libraries uses the Sirsi Unicorn
system. Currently, it has a bibliographic file of 3.4
million records, and an authority file of 1.3 million
records. It has a collection of over 50,000 active serials,
which are controlled by a manual check-in system at the
moment, with plans to migrate to an online system in the
near future. For authority control, it uses vendor
authority processing and the Unicorn system's authority
control module. SUL is a participant in the Program for
Cooperative Cataloging's NACO and BIBCO programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Performs original and complex copy cataloging of serials
in non-Slavic languages, in all formats and subject
areas, using AACR2, LC rule interpretations, Library of
Congress Classification, and Library of Congress Subject
2. Creates and updates NACO authority records for names,
uniform titles, and series (currently performed in RLIN)
3. Serves as trainer and resource person for serials
cataloging support staff.
4. Performs complex maintenance and problem-solving, and
manages special projects as needed.
1. Resolves series headings conflicts post-cataloging and
post-vendor authority processing, and creates NACO
authority records for these series.
2. Maintains Unicorn series authority file to keep it in
sync with LC updates and changes.
3. In cooperation with the authorities librarian in the
Database Management Section, develops procedures and has
oversight for bibliographic headings cleanups.
* At least two years of experience in original cataloging
in an automated environment, in an academic or research
library using AACR2 and LC rule interpretations.
* Good working knowledge of at least one European language
other than English (German, Spanish, and Portuguese
* Ability to work independently and flexibly, in a
production-oriented, dynamic environment; and with a
commitment to professional development and growth.
* ALA-accredited M.L.S. or equivalent.
* Experience in authority control work in an automated
* Experience in cataloging serials (printed as well as
* Experience in applying LCSH and LC classification in
* Strong reading knowledge in one or more foreign languages
(German, Spanish, and Portuguese preferred).
* Familiarity with NACO procedures and the USMARC format
for authority data.
* Familiarity with CONSER practices and the USMARC format
for holdings data.
Librarians at Stanford University are Academic Staff. The
University has an excellent retirement system and has a
variety of group health, dental, and life insurance plans.
It also provides generous vacation and sick leave.
TO APPLY send application letter, resume, and names of three
Head, Serials & Elec. Resources Cataloging
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford, CA 94305-6004
Application deadline: March 31, 1998.
Stanford University has a strong institutional commitment
to the principle of diversity. In that spirit we welcome
applications from all people, including women, members of
minority groups and persons with disabilities.