EAD Archives

EAD@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

Monospaced Font

EAD Home

EAD  May 1998

EAD May 1998

Re: Comment on: Connecting EADs to OPACs

Karen Rege <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 May 1998 09:09:31 -0400

Hi Tim,
Thanks for your info--it may be of great help. As I think I mentioned before, we are running VTLS's new Virtua software, which is still somewhat in the beta stage, although it looks like it will be pretty good system when completed and the bugs are worked out. The other day I downloaded the MARC 856 info off LC's website. I assume that that is the newest version of MARC, and our VTLS rep and I tried out some of the different subfields and indicators in the 856. We were still unable to get Virtua to open anything other than an HTML document. I'm not sure if that has to do with a Virtua design problem, or if VTLS used an older version of the MARC 856 when they created Virtua. Any thoughts?

Thank you also for the warning about the national utility incompatibilities. We are an RLIN library, but have suspende