AMFELLOWS@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

AMFELLOWS Home

AMFELLOWS  September 1998

AMFELLOWS September 1998

Are you a dreamer?

Leni Donlan <[log in to unmask]>

American Memory Fellows <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Sep 1998 08:50:21 -0700

--============_-1307198270==_ma============

Dear Fellows,

Kath did such a stellar job of sharing our project with you this summer,
that I am finding her a bit of a "hard act to follow". However, we are now
accepting registration for America Dreams, so I leave my humility at the
door and tell you...it's going to be great! Join us, if you can :-)

Leni
(Kath's California partner)
=====================
America Dreams: an online, collaborative project
Oct. 13 - Nov. 24, 1998
Grades 4 - 12

Registration is now being accepted on the project website
http://www.internet-catalyst.org/projects/amproject/splash.html
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Project Description-
As we near the beginning of a new Millennium it's time to review lessons
learned from the dreams of Americans past; to relate those lessons to the
realities of America, present; and to envision our hopes for America's
future. This project, created by Leni Donlan and Kathleen Ferenz, 1997
Fellows, American Memory Program, Library of Congress, challenges students
to explore the American Dream from three perspectives. Come dream with
us....

As Historian...
The initial WebQuest provides a guided investigation of "The American
Dream" which explores what that abstract concept has meant through the
decades of America's past. This phase establishes a knowledge base and an
analytical outlook as students use the digital resources of the American
Memory collections, Library of Congress, for research. It prepares students
to become the historians who will write the story of their own community.
Outcome: Team web exhibits

As Storyteller...
Through focused studies that begin with families and expand to include
communities, classrooms across the nation will create community narratives
(" Community Name (eg. San Francisco) - Through our Eyes."). Collectively,
the narratives become a digital gallery, "Portrait of America." which tells
the story of our nation as we enter a new Millennium. Individual dreams of
students, teachers, community members, elected officials and other
participants will be published on "The Wall of Dreams."
Outcomes- Web exhibits: Portrait of America, Wall of Dreams

As Celebrant...
The culminating activity is a "Celebration of Americans." In schools across
the nation, students will host community festivals to share their stories
and dreams. Meeting in electronic chat rooms and in video conferences,
local narratives will be shared with other classes and with state and
national officials.

America Dreams will contribute to the building of a collective, 21st
Century Dream for our nation. Come dream with us...

Highlights-
- students will understand that beliefs and events of the past create the
present
- students will understand that they create the future
- provides a vehicle for students to interact with and learn from their
community
- uses the digital resources of the American Memory Collections, Library of
Congress
- collaborative discussion in weekly chats with other participants
- creates a national digital gallery, Portrait of America, a snapshot of
America at the turn of the Millennium
- builds an archive, the  dreams of American citizens for a positive
future, the "Wall of Dreams"

Utilizes-
Chat: IRC
Videoconferencing: CU-SeeMe
Building web pages: tools available to help with this
Interaction: Mailing list, weekly chats for teachers and students
Broad participation: higher education, Library of Congress, elected
goverment office holders

goverment office holders </fontfamily>