Help for AMFELLOWS Archives

AMFELLOWS Archives

AMFELLOWS@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

AMFELLOWS Home

AMFELLOWS  October 1998

AMFELLOWS October 1998

Re: Search Our Site (not just the collections)

"Elizabeth L. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>

American Memory Fellows <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:54:43 -0500

Kathleen and others,

Oops, Did I really click on the "send" button?

The Search Our Site page was having some problems finding American Memory
pages for the past few weeks.  THAT has been corrected.

On other fronts, the Library's website has been pretty slow the past few
weeks.  It usually, comes through for those who are patient enough (but not
always).  Networking staff are working on this.

Some general tips -- reminders for you all:

Searches from within single collectins are always faster than across the
collections because cross-collection searches search the datafiles in
series (30-some files and growing).  Single medium searches (i.e.
photographs) are somewhere between .

Searching from the search box on the American Memory home page
<http://memory.loc.gov/> should net the same results as searching from the
cross-collection search page <http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/mdbquery.html>.
I always recommend the search page for the help file links.  This one
<http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/mdbnote.html>, for example, tells you what you
*cannot* search and other exceptions.  There's another search help page
<http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ndlpedu/find.html> on the Learning Page .
It's linked to the bottom of the "search guides" page.

Good luck.  And yes, please report any problems.  Also, let us know, in
advance, of any really big programs you're doing and we can give the
networking folks a heads-up.  Maybe they'll postpone a re-indexing or
something.  We've already thought of NCSS.

Betty Brown

At 01:34 PM 10/29/98 -0800, you wrote:
-----------------------
>Sender:       American Memory Fellows <[log in to unmask]>
>Poster:       Kathleen Ferenz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: Search Our Site (not just the collections)
----

>Betty
>Actually, I want to thank you for helping understand the difference between
>the Search our Site and the search engine at AM....as you know I'm in the
>collections nearly daily with my project, teachers, and kids. Soooooo, at
>first I thought I was crazy, and just ignored the  Search our Site. I
>suppose I didn't think to contact you.
>
>Also, I was wondering if  the site had some problems last week?I was
>demonstrating  the difference between searching from the AM main page and
>at the collection page....but the AM search page was not working at on Wed
>10/21, all yet the search from the collection level was. I guess the
>question is, do I mention it to you?
>
>Cheers,
>Kath
>

>*****************
>Kathleen Ferenz
>
>Instructor, San Francisco State University
>Department of Instructional Technology
>message: 415-338-1508
>http://itec.sfsu.edu/faculty/kferenz.html
>
>Project Director, Bay Area National Digital Library (BANDL)
>c/o Bay Area School Reform Collaborative
>voice mail: 415-241-2797
>FAX: 415-241-2746
>http://www.wested.org/basrc/bandl/

   Elizabeth L. Brown, M.L.S.
   National Digital Library Program, LIBN/NDL/VC(1330)
   Library of Congress, Washington, DC  20540-1300
   [log in to unmask]                telephone: 202/707-2235

   Library of Congress American Memory Home Page:
   http://memory.loc.gov/