BIBCO October 1998

subdivisions

Martin Joachim <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Oct 1998 15:42:49 -0500

LC subject headings weekly list 26 notes the decision to delete
--Biography and --Biography--Sources as free-floating subdivisions under
individual literary authors. It is noted that the subdivision will be
retained as a separately established subdivision for certain significant
persons. How do you define "significant person"? Does this mean
significant persons except literary authors? Isn't Shakespeare a
significant person? Am I being obtuse, or is anyone else confused?

Weekly list 36 also notes the removal of other subdivisions under
Shakespeare: --Contemporary England, --Editors, --Publishers. Our NOTIS
system has 5000+ hits under Shakespeare. (It terminates searches after
5000 hits.) What is the rationale for deleting useful subdivisions that
help to arrange large files? Isn't this carrying subdivision
simplification