EAD April 1999

Re: HTML or ASCII?

Dan Linke <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:27:25 -0400

David,

You did not mention in what form you gave the finding aids to APEX.  I am
assuming that you gave them paper copies which they scanned, OCRed, and
converted.  If they are going to all that effort, they could surely give you
an electronic version without the EAD encoding, and the cost cannot be that
much greater since it's only a matter of one of the steps along the way
toward encoding.  I would pursue that route before attempting to strip the
coding out manually at your end.

However, related to this and for future planning, we are scanning
paper-based finding aids with an HP scanner (cost of $700) with Caere's
Omnipage 8.0 (an OCR program, cost about $400, less if it's an upgrade from
software included with the scanner; we paid only $100) with very good
results.  It saves the file as both a Word file and then also converts to
HTML. (You could also save it as an ASCII file too, once it was in Word.)
Last summer we employed a student to do this nearly fulltime and she was
able to scan, OCR, and convert nearly 100 pages per day.  This rate varied
according to each finding aid's "page density" but is based on 20 finding
aids totalling over 3500 pages which were completed in 37 working days.  I
mention this because the cost of the student labor is significantly less
than APEX's hourly rate, I suspect, and if you provide them with an
electronic version rather than paper, you may stretch your grant dollars
that much more.  Of course, you need to find a good student who is
detail-oriented.

Hope this helps.

--
Dan Linke
Assistant Archivist for Technical Services