EAD April 1999

was: HTML or ASCII

Ed Summers <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 24 Apr 1999 10:00:21 -0400

Michael, I was interested to read:

"In a phrase that I think Bill Landis coined, we are treating our finding
aids as data and not as text.   We have chosen to create and maintain our
files in xml mode."

Am I right in saying that XML doesn't support something like SGML Catalogs,
which can allow you to maintain the file locations of external entities
(images, standard text, etc) in one place? Or is there an equivalent
mechanism in XML?

Also, just out of curiousity are you currently using one of these fancy new
XML editors to create and maintain your EAD XML?

Ed Summers
Old Dominion University