AMFELLOWS@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

AMFELLOWS Home

AMFELLOWS  July 1999

AMFELLOWS July 1999

Re: 99 institute

Howard Lurie <[log in to unmask]>

American Memory Fellows <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Jul 1999 11:45:55 -0400

Briefly, and I hope without repeating the excellent advice offered by

Consider that less can be more: the AM collections can be overwhelming, as
well as invigorating.  As teachers and historians, we need to remember that
understanding the complexities of the past can be a messy affair, and that
sometimes a few choice items can trigger the imaginations and minds of our
students better than a massive collection.  So, focus on what you want
students to bring away from their excursions into AM.

I echo the "network like crazy" comment.  Part of the great thing of being
at AM is meeting the other people and facilitators.  As Arnold said, slow
down a bit and take time to find out what and how these people are doing in
their respective schools.

Finally, try to take some time to reflect on the full year ahead of you.  AM
will grow, and so will your ability to use the collections.  This is a very
fluid experience, so sit back and enjoy the ride.

A note to all:

I'm off to a new position as a national program manager for technology with
Facing History and Ourselves, a Boston based curriculum development group
best known for their Holocaust Studies materials (www.facing.org)

Stay well and stay cool...

Howard Lurie
98 Fellow (un-indicted co-conspirator of Arnold Pulda)