Machine and Accessories 99-09

National Library Service for the Blind <[log in to unmask]>

NLS Documents for Network Libraries <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:05:38 -0400

Machines and Accessories No. 99-09

Date: July 16, 1999

Subject: National Audio Equipment Advisory Committee
Recommendations and NLS Responses

Attached are the recommendations made by the National Audio
Equipment Advisory Committee members at the annual meeting
held March 24-26, 1999.  Following each recommendation is a
response by NLS.

The following members attended the meeting:

Consumer representatives

American Council of the Blind           Alice Jackson
Blinded Veterans Association            Elsworth Sharpe
National Federation of the Blind        Sam Gleese
Midlands Region                         Robert Haag
Southern Region                         Doug Hall

Network library representatives

Midlands Region                         Elizabeth Eckles
Northern Region                         Richard Riddell
Southern Region                         Rebecca Sherrill
Western Region                          David Whittall

Telephone Pioneer representatives

Midlands Region                         Jerry Adamson
Northern Region                         Carl Gingrich
Southern Region                         J. Walter Alfred
Western Region                          Richard Iversen

Elfun representative                    Jack Simpson

1999 National Audio Equipment Advisory Committee

The Telephone Pioneers and Elfun Recommendations

March 26, 1999

1. Issue a Machines & Accessories (M&A) report strongly urging
all shops to use the established cassette book machine (CBM)
reconditioning standards in testing and include a copy of the
standards for reference.

NLS RESPONSE:(Equipment and Materials Maintenance Coordinator-
-EMMC)

NLS will issue such a Machines & Accessories (M&A) report.

2. Make the following material available on the NLS portion of
the Library of Congress web site:
a. Machines & Accessories report
b. CBM Reconditioning Standards
c. Technical Tips
d. Fully Charged

NLS RESPONSE: (EMMC)

To the extent permitted by available sources NLS will make the
requested material available on the NLS portion of the Library
of Congress web site.

3. Announce the solution of the frozen head-screw problem in
new production machines.

NLS RESPONSE: (EMMC)

This will be done as soon as possible.

4. Release diagrams and instructions for dealing with the new
motor control board trim pots.

NLS RESPONSE: (Engineering,  EMMC)

The new C-1 service manual will include this diagram.

5. Release a Machines & Accessories report reinforcing the
importance of never running machines with no batteries
installed, which can cause damage to the capacitors and other
problems.

NLS RESPONSE: (EMMC)

This matter is being reviewed and will be reported on as soon
as possible.

6. Establish a system for sending out prioritized field change
orders to announce changes in machines and how they affect
reconditioning and repair operations.

NLS RESPONSE: (EMMC)

We plan to develop a format for the Technical Tips and publish
them. The media have not been established yet but will
probably include electronic and print.  The Technical Tips
would include a classification system and updates based on
engineering change notices.

7. Specify that the digital talking books must be carefully
engineered to facilitate easy cleaning.

NLS RESPONSE: (Engineering)

NLS will make ease of cleaning a high priority in any future
equipment design.

8. Continue the Train the Trainer program.

NLS RESPONSE: (EMMC)

NLS will continue the Train the Trainer program.

9. Actively support and encourage the work now being done in
replacing the reclamation center.

NLS RESPONSE: (EMMC)

NLS is actively supporting and will continue to support the
work being done to replace the reclamation center.

10. We compliment Kevin Watson, Tom McLaughlin, and George
Thuronyi for the production of the very informative NLS
reconditioning video.

NLS RESPONSE: (Materials Development Division--MDD)

Thank you.

11. We compliment Brad Kormann, Kevin Watson, Bob Fistick, and
all other staff involved in the recognition of repair
volunteers and recommend that this activity continue.

NLS RESPONSE: (MDD)

Thank you for the compliment; this activity will continue.

12. We commend and encourage NLS to continue the timely
implementation of the automated inventory control system.

NLS RESPONSE: (EMMC)

We will continue to prepare for the automated inventory
control system.  It will be implemented as soon as possible.

National Audio Equipment Advisory Committee

Librarian Recommendations

March 26, 1999

1. The C-1 service manual needs to be updated to include
changes in the machine, new amp board, different parts, and
lubrication chart.  All repair centers need to be supplied
with a lubrication chart and specifications, which are being
developed by the Arizona and Philadelphia MLAs.

NLS RESPONSE: (Engineering,  EMMC)

The C-1 service manual will include all amplifier board change
information.  Lubrication of the slides in the Shinwa tape
transport is done only by the manufacturer. We will ask Telex
about this phase of reconditioning the tape transports.

2. Two months before the next NAEAC meeting, NLS should review
the previous year's recommendations and responses. Update the
in the format needed prior to the meeting.

NLS RESPONSE: (Engineering)

As we did this year, we will incorporate this recommendation
into the preparation for next year's meeting.

3. To prevent unnecessary returns for warranty repairs, NLS
should reemphasize the importance of MLAs and repair centers
using the reconditioning standard checklist to determine which
machines should be returned for warranty repair.

NLS RESPONSE: (EMMC, Quality Assurance--QA)

For the repair of units not under warranty, we will
reemphasize the importance of using the checklist. No matter
how small the problem, defective machines that are still under
warranty must be returned to the manufacturer for repairs.

4. To reuse machine mailing containers, NLS should encourage
Telex to use plastic windows, like the SH18, rather than its
current envelopes dipped in some greasy chemical.

NLS RESPONSE: (Engineering)

The cost of plastic windows is unlikely to result in overall
savings or improved convenience because individual MLAs use
labeling methods that are adapted to local conditions and not
necessarily compatible with SH18 windows.

5. Portability, battery management systems, and the
elimination of dirt and other contaminants inside machines
need to be considered in the design of future playback
equipment.

NLS RESPONSE: (Engineering)

See response to Telephone Pioneer and Elfun recommendation
number 7.

6. Immediately alleviate the accumulation of dirt and other
contaminants inside cassette playback machines with dirt
barriers, i.e., as in the APH CBM (sample provided by David
Whittall, AZ) and retrofit existing CBMs by distributing dirt
barriers to the network for insertion as the machines are
returned for repair.

NLS RESPONSE: (Engineering, EMMC)

We will continue to explore cost-effective means of excluding
dirt from all sensitive areas in our equipment.

7. Immediately implement the inventory control system for
machine repair parts.

NLS RESPONSE: (EMMC)

NLS will implement the system as soon as possible.

8. Use the website to implement electronic ordering, update
parts order status, publish M&As, and support the development
of a repair program listserv.

NLS RESPONSE: (EMMC)

To the extent permitted by available resources and
compatibility with the forthcoming inventory control system,
NLS will use the website to implement electronic ordering,
update parts order status, publish M&As, and support the
development of a repair program listserv.

9. A 24-hour response for parts orders, which describes the
action taken, needs to be implemented immediately.

NLS RESPONSE: ( EMMC)

NLS will immediately strive to achieve a 24-hour response for
all parts orders.

10. Give priority to the development of a policy
regarding the phaseout and disposal of recorded discs and
TBMs.  Consider phasing out TBM machines first, because
CT-1s have RC playback capability.  Also consider
offering the CT-1 as a second machine for patrons.  Finally,
make use of the creative ideas of the NAEAC for effective,
environmentally correct, and economically efficient recycling
of the TBM machine.

NLS RESPONSE: (Equipment Control Officer--ECO, MDD)

NLS will consider these suggestions during its review of the
TBMs future use in the network.

11. NLS needs to clarify the responsibility for the
transferred equipment guideline, to ensure a network standard.

NLS RESPONSE: (ECO)

The network standard on transferring equipment is contained in
Chapter 3 of the MLA Inventory Procedures Manual.

12. Encourage repair groups to clean the disassembled CBMs as
part of the reconditioning procedure; the importance of this
step in the reconditioning process needs to be emphasized.

NLS RESPONSE: (EMMC)
We already do encourage cleaning.  All indications are that
groups are currently doing this.

13. We support the initiative to procure more headphones and
have more E-1s repaired.

NLS RESPONSE: (Engineering)

Thank you for the endorsement.

14. NLS should hold a preconference for machine agents with
the year 2000 conference.

NLS RESPONSE: (MDD, Research & Development Officer-R&D)

NLS will hold preconferences with the year 2000 conference on
the basis of network input per Network Bulletin 99-05.  A
preconference for machine agents is among those presently
under consideration.

15.The future of the NLS program needs to be studied
comprehensively.  This study must include input from network
consumers and libraries, including the impact of new
technology and the changes in readership such as eligible
students, reading disabled, and the growing elderly
population.  This needs to be an agenda item at the year 2000
conference.

NLS RESPONSE: (Engineering, R&D)

NLS is committed to full participation of consumers and
libraries in the design of new systems.  An example of this
commitment is the "Future of Library Services" conference
hosted by NLS on February 3 and 4, 1999.  Another example is
the representation of consumers, librarians, and advocacy
groups in the NLS-sponsored development of a digital talking-
book standard.  NLS will factor demographics into a life-cycle
cost model that will support future-system decision making.
These matters will be open for discussion at the year 2000
conference.

16.We encourage NLS to continue Train the Trainer efforts,
due to the incredible results and satisfaction with the
program.

NLS RESPONSE: (EMMC)

We will continue the Train the Trainer program.  Having
completed the first phase, we are currently developing plans
for a second phase.

17. We applaud NLS's efforts at recruitment and recognition
of volunteers in the repair program and request distribution
to the network of the recruitment materials developed by
Kormann and Fistick. We encourage the continuance of the
recruitment efforts and recognize the support of telephone
companies in providing repair facilities.

NLS RESPONSE: (MDD, PMS)

Thank you. These efforts continue.  Please contact the NLS
Network Division for recruitment materials.

18. We applaud NLS's determined progress toward the
development of digital talking- book technology and standards.
NLS staff are commended for their "networking" with other
professionals and organizations involved in digital book
technology.  May this excellent pace continue.

NLS RESPONSE: (Engineering, R&D)

Thank you for the compliment.

National Audio Equipment Advisory Committee

Consumer Recommendations

March 26, 1999

1. Recommend that NLS should continue its current policy
regarding the issuance of headphones to patrons.

NLS RESPONSE: (Director)

The current policy will not change.

2. Recommend that NLS re-examine the policy of issuing
amplifiers to assist patrons with hearing impairments and
explore advising patrons to resolve their hearing impairment
needs for talking books in the same way they meet those needs
in their everyday lives.

NLS RESPONSE: (Director)

Since some patrons depend on NLS for special equipment to
enjoy talking books, there will be no change in policy or
equipment.

3. Since it is too early to make meaningful hardware decisions
for digital talking books (DTBs), we recommend that emphasis
be placed on software development with versions released for
testing by users.

NLS RESPONSE: (Engineering, R&D)

It is our firm intention to involve consumers as much as
possible in the development of the DTB.  This will include
evaluation of DTB software simulations when they become
available.