Examples for citing?

Randall Bass <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Oct 1999 14:02:10 -0400

Hi folks,
Roy Rosenzweig (George Mason University) and I have been asked to write a
"white paper" for the Department of Education about technology and its
future role (promises and perils) in K-12 social studies education.

Naturally, we are stressing many of the themes that underwrite the
American Memory Fellows program: inquiry-based activities, the role of
primary materials, discovery models of education, the "novice in the
archive," as well as the need for sustained teacher professional
development, the need for better preservice teacher education with
technology, the problems of equity, etc.

Something we don't have enough of are *examples* of classroom
iimplementation that we can name and capture in a phrase or sentence (and
then cite a URL as a footnote perhaps). The whole paper is only 15 pages,
so no example can be elaborated upon. But "real" examples (putting a face
and a name on our claims) will be critical.

So, we turn to you. Can you provide us with any examples of
technology-enhanced pedagogies in any social studies context (US or world)
that can be conveyed in no more than a sentence or two? In particular
we're interested in examples of:

        -uses of online archival materials in conjunction with online
communication or writing, bridging reading & writng, or just communication
and writing;

        -uses of email penpals or other online communication pedagogies to
expand beyond the walls of the clasroom (connect to diversity or
internationally) in any social studies context;

        -uses of technology tools for any "constructive" or
"construiontionist" project where the students are creating something in
multimedia or with mulitple media, where the advantage of using new media
is evident in a short description or example (e.g. virtual exhibits).

Let me stress that we're not looking for high claims of impact on
learning, or that such uses changed the life of a child--just good solid
balanced examples that help build a case for continued  development in
these directions.

You can send directly to me at [log in to unmask] if you don't
want to send back to the list. I'd be happy to compile any examples and
send to the list if it seems worthwhile. I'll also let you all know where
the paper will be online. It will apparently be (as will we)
part of some policy institute  on the future of technology in K-12
settings.

So--skeptical as we all can be about the eventual fate of all our good
sense--your help is much appreciated.

thanks,
Randy Bass