If you have not already done this, you might try prefixing the entire EAD
sgml declaration (eadsgml.dcl) to your doctype declaration in a file called
something like "doctype". The sgmlrgn command would then be:

     sgmlrgn50 -m region -o /path/to/index -D /path/to/dd/file doctype file.sgm

Without the EAD declaration, sgmlrgn will use a default declaration and
will complain.

If this solves some of your problems, but sgmlrgn still chokes, try
changing to the following settings in eadsgml.dcl:

     LCNMCHAR   "-."
     UCNMCHAR   "-."

Hope this helps,
--David Ruddy