If you have not already done this, you might try prefixing the entire EAD sgml declaration (eadsgml.dcl) to your doctype declaration in a file called something like "doctype". The sgmlrgn command would then be:

    sgmlrgn50 -m region -o /path/to/index -D /path/to/dd/file doctype file.sgm

Without the EAD declaration, sgmlrgn will use a default declaration and will complain.

If this solves some of your problems, but sgmlrgn still chokes, try changing to the following settings in eadsgml.dcl:

    LCNMCHAR   "-."
    UCNMCHAR   "-."

Hope this helps,
--David Ruddy

At 09:01 AM 1/12/00 +1000, you wrote:
Hello ead list,

Can someone help me with a dtd problem I'm having with version 1.  Open Text index build gives following error messages for a dtd file I normalised.  I'm sorry if this has been discussed previously - I am new to the list.  Alternatively, can someone who has ead1 working with OT5 give me some advice?

>> sgmlrgn50: SGML error at ead.dtn, line 324 in declaration parameter 0:
>>     Start-tag minimization ignored; element has required attribute
>> sgmlrgn50: SGML error at ead.dtn, line 1302 in declaration parameter 4:
>>     Start-tag minimization prohibited for EMPTY or R/CDATA; ignored
>> sgmlrgn50: Warning at ead.dtn, line 1381 in declaration parameter 4:
>>     End-tag minimization should be "O" for EMPTY element
>> sgmlrgn50: Warning at ead.dtn, line 1405 in declaration parameter 4:
>>     End-tag minimization should be "O" for EMPTY element
>> sgmlrgn50: Warning at ead.dtn, line 1426 in declaration parameter 4:
>>     End-tag minimization should be "O" for EMPTY element
>> sgmlrgn50: SGML error at ead.dtn, line 1450 in declaration parameter 4:
>>     Start-tag minimization prohibited for EMPTY or R/CDATA; ignored
>> sgmlrgn50: SGML error at ead.dtn, line 2198 in declaration parameter 0:
>>     Start-tag minimization ignored; element has required attribute
>> sgmlrgn50: Warning at ead.dtn, line 2201 in declaration parameter 4:
>>     End-tag minimization should be "O" for EMPTY element
>> sgmlrgn50: Warning at ead.dtn, line 2219 in declaration parameter 4:
>>     End-tag minimization should be "O" for EMPTY element

Dr Creagh Cole: SETIS Coordinator
University of Sydney Library
University of Sydney  2006 Australia.
Phone: (61)(2) 9351-7408        Fax: (61)(2) 9351-7290
        Email:  [log in to unmask]