Max, thanks also.

Martin

Max EVANS <[log in to unmask]> on 12/01/2000 09:34:37 AM

Please respond to Encoded Archival Description List <[log in to unmask]>

To:   [log in to unmask]
cc:    (bcc: Martin Woods/AWM)

Subject:  Re: XMetal option

We use XMetaL and like it a lot, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Max J. Evans
Director, Utah State Historical Society

>>> Chuck Thomas <[log in to unmask]> 1/11/00 4:26:01 PM >>>
HI,

Some weeks ago, I posted a similar inquiry, but not many responses ensued.
I subsequently ordered/downloaded evaluation versions of several freeware
and proprietary packages, including:

XMetal
Internet Archivist
Interleaf's Quicksilver
NoteTabPro

and several others, for a total of about 10. Of all these, I think XMetal
was the best value for a full-featured authoring and editing package. THe
learning curve was not terribly difficult, it provided multiple views of
EAD-tagged documents, converted back and forth from SGML to XML easily,
included a good validation function, and was able to handle other dtd's
besides EAD, in case you ever need to do engage in any other type of
markup. I am recommending that my institution purchase this package.

Hope this brief review helps.

Chuck Thomas

Question to Elvis: "What kind of girls do you prefer?"

Elvis: "Female mostly."

  --From THE QUOTABLE KING
    (Nashville: Cumberland House, 1997)

"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
 - A proverb mentioned by St. Bernard in his SERMO PRIMUS

Charles F. Thomas
Special Collections/Archives Technical Services Librarian
Univ. of Minnesota Libraries
612-625-3036